2023 goals: here we go

Like a phoenix, it will always rise again.
Sirocco
Site Admin

2023 goals: here we go

Post by Sirocco »

Last year was pretty solid for me, but I still have a lot in my backlog. I'm gonna rattle off some stuff here; keeping notes. Feel free to join in.

- Finish Far Afield port to Raylib
This is progressing well. I see no trouble finishing this in a few months if I don't perma-slack. I do need to invest time in revising the graphics to fit the new filtering. The majority of my assets look fine, but some of the sprites have shading that washes out details or otherwise looks janky.

- Finish Far Afield
I was at the end of development before I started the port. What I was missing was a tutorial, final boss battle, and music... and that was it. That was the whole list. So you can imagine my natural reaction being "Hold up, I can't actually finish something!" But in reality I didn't want to carry a SDL project into the future. Anyway, I'm working on the missing items while I continue porting. I can knock this out in 2023, if I don't slack too much.

- Further music study
This is something I touched on last year, but didn't make a serious effort beyond spending a few weeks dabbling with DAWs, VSTs, and kicking out a few shitty loops. I'm going to put in the hours this year and make it work. The reality is that I can make an entire, highly polished game from start to finish (code, design, art, sfx) but music has been my Achilles' heel. This year we're gonna fix that. Priority #1, because this feeds directly into the above point on the list.

- 4x4x4
This has been amazing, and I'm going to keep it going. I need to put in some work on the site and make it a bit more polished, and easier for me to update. My web skills have always been poor, because it's not a domain I enjoy working in. Eventually I'd like us to have more regular participants, but the aim isn't to get huge. The goal is to create things, have fun, and inspire each other, rather than strict competition.
0xDB

Re: 2023 goals: here we go

Post by 0xDB »

Oh sweet, we already have a thread for 2023!

Alright, my primary goal is to figure out how to cope with ADHD. I found two really good playlists on youtube by Dr. Russell A Barkley ( a) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8i0mAs-cvY b) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DHv7T0Z2vp ) which explain it all really well. Watched most of those over the holidays already. It's very eye opening. I want to watch them again and take notes.

I also acquired a book by Mary V. Solanto called "CBT for Adult ADHD, Targeting Executive Dysfunction" which I intend to read/work with for at least the majority of January, hoping to get the gist of it, so that I can then proceed to actually DO things.

And then there is a lose list of about 8 vague ideas and an additional 8 specific projects that I would like to work on. Currently my mind thinks these three are most interesting to me: 1) rework custom arduino based mouse hardware again 2) make C64 music tracker 3) make more asset packs (and/or expand previous one)

Aside from those projects I really want to play more games. Across 2022 my daily gaming time on average was only 49 minutes (and that was not even daily, most days I did not game at all, had a few short excessive gaming sprees instead).
~ 0xDB ~
deleter

Post by deleter »

Goals for the Year

- Get a new job

- Publish some mini-games

- Finish Isle of the Damned

- Keep on reading on the regular

- Draw a lot

- Improve my music skills
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Quick update on goals:

1. Music study has been progressing well, and I'm able to put together some pleasant melodies. Some of the transitions are still rough, and I have to work at filling in harmonies, etc as I go along, but I'm miles from where I left off in past efforts. I'm actually enjoying putting in the work. Right now I'm using FamiStudio and not restricting myself to any particular cart format, but I'm keeping things restricted to the square, triangle, and noise channels for now.

2. Diving deeper into cooking this year. Doing a lot of experiments, but not really keeping track of things so it's hard to explain without rambling. Also working on baking homemade bread, which is a nice change of pace. I worry I'm using up what few spare brain cells I have left already ;)
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Another update:

1. Music study is still a go, and I'm starting to enjoy it (WIN).

2. Cooking is on hold for a moment.

3. I've started a demo for Revision 2024. Yes, that's a year away, but I want to have plenty of runway ahead of me. Back when we were pimpin' in 2015, we had ~5 months to learn everything and make the demo. It was hell. Fun hell, but hell. I want this to be a more leisurely experience. Also, as it's a PC demo I'm not aiming to do anything technically astounding (the bar is super fucking high on that platform). I'm just gonna kick some things around and have fun.
0xDB

Post by 0xDB »

Hm... derp derp derp. What have I even been doing this whole time? Mind is everywhere and nowhere. Racing fast but at the same time sleeping, not getting a hold of any one thought for long enough to act on it.
~ 0xDB ~
0xDB

Post by 0xDB »

I want to spend some time one of these next couple of days thinking about what I intend to do 2024.
~ 0xDB ~
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah.... 2024 is going to be another interesting year for me. Moar 4x, moar jams, moar socializing... but also more relaxing. I took on so much stuff this year it was overwhelming at times.

I would say 2023 has been an amazing year for me, and by all rights I should think of it as such, but my judgement is tempered by how tired I've been from work (professional and otherwise), and other opportunities.