Off topic - 2021 - Q2

Like a phoenix, it will always rise again.
Sonrisu

Off topic - 2021 - Q2

Post by Sonrisu »

Archives:

2021: Q1
PoV

Re: Off topic - 2021 - Q2

Post by PoV »

So it turns out I don't hate Rust. I've been reading the book...

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/

..and other than the dependence on a package manager, it looks very clean. C++ has been rotting the past decade. I'd really like a drop-in alternative with some new ideas, and not a gross cripplefest like C#. :x

I definitely look forward to trying-out a project in Rust. No idea what yet, but something small.
Mike Kasprzak — BirdsTubesPopular thingVery serious company
Sonrisu

Post by Sonrisu »

Any good game dev lib/support for Rust? I keep hearing a lot about it to. Might be fun to whip up something small using it... :]
Niunio Martinez

Post by Niunio Martinez »

I'm glad that I'm back. :D
BadMrBox

Post by BadMrBox »

Welcome back.
PoV

Post by PoV »

Sonrisu wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:12 pm Any good game dev lib/support for Rust? I keep hearing a lot about it to. Might be fun to whip up something small using it... :]
Well it is a language designed to replace C/C++, and it supports working with C/C++ libraries, so technically you can use anything you like. SDL2, OpenGL, I've seen bindings for both. Behind the scenes it uses LLVM and GCC's Linker, so it's all the same tools you're already using if you're a C/C++ programmer.

Not to mention they're proud of their WebAssembly support, which is very encouraging. I don't know how mature the ecosystem is yet, but it's kinda exciting. They do monthly/bi-monthly updates where they improve the language, they have groups focused on different use cases and industries, including a group for game developers. Honestly I'm shocked there's this much going on.

I guess I'm just used to slow, stagnant programming languages that get updated every decade and not every month. :lol:
Niunio Martinez

Post by Niunio Martinez »

BadMrBox wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:06 amWelcome back.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

I started playing Nier: Replicant, and while I'm not sure if I can justify the full price (given that I've already 100 %'d the original PS3 version) this remake seems to have been handled with care. Having a solid 60 Hz framerate and better models and textures makes up for the original game's jank. Also, "Papa Nier" from the NA release is gone -- it's all "brother Nier" this time around, like the Jap version.

Original voice acting is intact, thank god :D
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Got the first ending; working on the others. I'm feeling pretty lazy, so it's a good time to kick back and enjoy some gaming :D
PoV

Post by PoV »

avasarala.jpg
avasarala.jpg (196.66 KiB) Viewed 4332 times