4x4x4 Design Challenge

Like a phoenix, it will always rise again.
Sirocco
Site Admin

4x4x4 Design Challenge

Post by Sirocco »

Oh boy, Youtube buttse.cx'd the video with its compression. I'll work on a better vid tomorrow lol.

Download the intro (Win32 binary)

We humbly invite you to join us for the GDR's 4x4x4 challenge. We're leveling up the 4 Emoji Challenge into a formal event, to be hosted here every 4 months, with a 4 week window for entry.

Schedule, rules, and pretty much everything is subject to change.

Feel free to drop your thoughts in this thread. We're also actively discussing it in the Discord channel.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Re: 4x4x4 Design Challenge

Post by Sirocco »

Next compo starts June. Stay tuned.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

A new challenge kicks off today.

RULES (SAME AS BEFORE)

1. GO HERE. Generate 4 emoji until something makes sense. The goal is to get weird so don't just sit there and reroll until you can make Mario.

2. Make a micro-game using the 4 emoji as your theme.

3. All targets are allowed. All libraries/engines are allowed. Code re-use is encouraged. Get out there and get shit done.

4. Challenge ends in one month. So July 3rd for teh slow.

5. BONUS THEME (pending). Incorporating this theme will grant you special mention once the compo concludes. It's *not* a requirement.

You're got four weeks to complete your entry. If you design for an esoteric target, such as a retro or fantasy console, please consider making a Youtube capture of your finished project, for those of us who are too damn lazy to set up multiple runtime environments (and for the avoidance of doubt, that would include yours truly.)
Gered

Post by Gered »

Alright! That's it, no more lurking ... I'm going to participate in this! I love the idea of this challenge, and a month-long time period seems great to me.

I haven't finished a game in eons, so finishing will be the real challenge.

My thought for these is "Head-to-Head Fruit Popper." Though, in this case "fruit" is limited to grapes and tomatoes, but meh, I think it still works.

My initial thinking for the game is a single-screen arena type of thing where the fruit (grapes and tomatoes) randomly spawn, and you need to pop them with your trusty thumbtack. Limited time and/or fruit goal or something similar. Need to mull over that part more in my head. For the "head-to-head" part, I'm thinking obviously two-player support, but substitute in a computer-controlled player to allow single-player games to be played still.

Anyway, as noted, still need to mull over some aspects of this more, but I think that is the gist of it.

I'm going to be developing this on my 486 MS-DOS PC with Turbo Pascal 7. Because why not. I'd been developing a home-grown mode 13h library slowly in my free time over the past couple years already, and it's mostly ready to go for this. I'm lacking sound support though, so I think what I'll end up doing for sound is utilizing Angelo Mottola's old "SoundLab" utility for QBasic, since it's super simple to code up a player in my game for the sound effects you can generate with that tool. And of course that tool works really nicely as a DOS "sfxr"-equivalent. :)

I also think I'm going to challenge myself to create all my own artwork instead of using stuff from e.g. OpenGameArt or whatever else. I'll do my artwork with Deluxe Paint II. I am really not an artist so this will be interesting for sure, haha.

But yeah! Perhaps a little bit of a simplistic idea? I dunno, but as I said already, for me the real challenge will be for me to actually finish something at all!
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

I'm going to be developing this on my 486 MS-DOS PC with Turbo Pascal 7. Because why not. I'd been developing a home-grown mode 13h library slowly in my free time over the past couple years already, and it's mostly ready to go for this. I'm lacking sound support though, so I think what I'll end up doing for sound is utilizing Angelo Mottola's old "SoundLab" utility for QBasic, since it's super simple to code up a player in my game for the sound effects you can generate with that tool. And of course that tool works really nicely as a DOS "sfxr"-equivalent. :)
That, simply put, is awesome. There are times when I miss my DOS gamedev days.

But yeah! Perhaps a little bit of a simplistic idea? I dunno, but as I said already, for me the real challenge will be for me to actually finish something at all!
That's a solid idea; and the nice thing about having a whole month is freedom to pivot. With tiny projects, you can get a neat idea at the last moment and still make it work. As for simplicity, I think that's why these challenges have been getting traction, whereas my previous attempts were decidedly hit or miss. The emoji get your imagination moving in weird directions, and there are no serious rules to constrict your direction of thought. You have plenty of time to work on it, and are encouraged to keep your scope simple so things get finished.

I went a little overboard on my previous entry, but I was playing with Raylib and just didn't want to stop :D
carra

Post by carra »

Wow, MS-DOS and mode 13h. I should still have some source code for things I coded back then. For instance, this is one of my unfinished games:

Gered

Post by Gered »

Sirocco wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:45 am That, simply put, is awesome. There are times when I miss my DOS gamedev days.
Yeah! I really miss the DOS days too. :D I was almost exclusively into QuickBASIC back then (actually the "QB-community" is how I originally found GDR back then) and somehow skipped over Pascal altogether. I only actually decided to dive into Turbo Pascal a few years ago for the first time and had a "wow, wtf, this is like QB++, how the heck did I miss this!?!?!" type of reaction, heh. So I figured I definitely wanted to use TP7 here. You had a great mini-rant in one of your other posts here about the difficulties with pushing pixels to the screen nowadays, and I totally, completely, 100% can relate to that rant. DOS mode 13h lets me bask in the simplicity of easily blasting pixels to the screen once more. :)
Sirocco wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:45 am That's a solid idea; and the nice thing about having a whole month is freedom to pivot. With tiny projects, you can get a neat idea at the last moment and still make it work. As for simplicity, I think that's why these challenges have been getting traction, whereas my previous attempts were decidedly hit or miss. The emoji get your imagination moving in weird directions, and there are no serious rules to constrict your direction of thought. You have plenty of time to work on it, and are encouraged to keep your scope simple so things get finished.

I went a little overboard on my previous entry, but I was playing with Raylib and just didn't want to stop :D
Right, that is what I was thinking in the back of my head as I was writing my original post too. "Simpler is better, don't bite off more than you can chew." Plus as you say, there is enough wiggle room within the month to try out some extra ideas as I get more into the project and get a "feel" for it.

I'll start a topic in the devlogs forum later today about my 4x4x4 challenge project. But I guess I should probably also join the Discord since it sounds like a ton more discussion during the last challenge happened over there!

carra wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:59 pm Wow, MS-DOS and mode 13h. I should still have some source code for things I coded back then. For instance, this is one of my unfinished games:
That was a great video, thanks for sharing! Great game, digging the pre-rendered art actually. Pretty sure I also have that mod in my tracker collection here somewhere. ;)
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

🙅👌🗿📬

Posting mine before I forget. I have a couple of ideas, but haven't committed to an approach yet. I'm thinking of a dating service where you send appropriately themed moai to potential mates, and get more points for better reactions.
carra

Post by carra »

Gered wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:24 pm Pretty sure I also have that mod in my tracker collection here somewhere. ;)
Wouldn't be surprised haha. Back then I got all of my mods from magazine CDs, and they in turn got most from demoscene & compo parties. Some of the mods were also submitted by readers though
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Also, I would like to note that code (and asset) reuse is highly encouraged for these compos. The idea is to challenge yourself as a designer... rather than seeing what you can do in a short period of time. So if you're thinking of participating, but aren't sure if you'll finish, go ahead and start. If you don't finish, pick up where you left off for the next compo, if it makes sense.

Gerad and I are working on our entries. Looking forward to seeing who else jumps in ;)