Nov'23 Gamedev Dailies

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
deleter

Re: Nov'23 Gamedev Dailies

Post by deleter »

Day 17 - NO-OP

Had some life things come up and didn't get an entry this day

Day 18 - Opus Minnum

Due to missing the 17th, decided to go more ambitious on this one. I really enjoyed Zachtronic's Opus Magnum when it came out, and always thought it would be a fun one to try and copy, re-discovering the algorithms and design challenges along the way. Originally was going to keep it pretty simple, just spinning things and hardcoded movement. Once I got going, I saw how to do paths, actual commands, and the element emitter / consumer. This will probably be the most involved "sketch" by far, took me nearly 14 hours. It was good though, gave my ecs some exercise -- found something that needed a small improvement -- and definitely got me mileage doing more complicated algorithms with parentage and recursion. It also pushed my hex logic forward yet again.

Day 19 - Treasure Effect

Wanted a palette cleanser after the mini-marathon I did on the 18th. It's a simple effect but did numbers on my brain when I was hooked on vampire survivors.

Had fun creating variables to tweak the spawn behavior, wanted to create some variance in the spawn rate to keep some visual interest. Created the subtle middle column highlight shader to enhance the glowy/shiny aspect.

credits - coins and chest

Day 20 - Asteroids Foundation

One of those days where every inch feels like it takes a mile. But wanted to at least get something down for today's sketch. Scoped it down to about as simple as possible, just some old fashioned lines and ricochet logic. I fought a bit with the SDF rendering to try and do a triangle but couldn't get the shader to cooperate so just drew it with three lines. Will have to figure that one out later. Given the for loop and if statements in the shader there's a part of my brain that's amazed it works at all. Thinking I might want to support polygon-based drawing primitives as well. Even if just for prototyping, the SDF-based rendering is fun for stretching shader muscles, but not the most practical.

Day 21 - Bug Hallway

Had some fun with shell casings and simple enemies. This is my take on a game I watched a video of once but never played (and as such don't remember the name). For the hit detection, pulled out the old trusty "two very large circles with a small intersection" technique to damage anything along the line from the barrel to its endpoint. Another fun implementation detail is that I created a "capture" texture for dead enemies + landed shells, allowing me to free the entity for my ECS while still retaining a visual marker on-screen.

The gif fps is messing up the animations a little, making the belt look like it's feeding backwards and hiding the spider walk animation. Probably need to do video recording in my framework at some point. These gifs are great but there are some limitations...

credits - spider, everything else is mine.
syn9

Post by syn9 »

Looking great so far. These kinda remind me of 300 mechanics in a way.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Seconded. I can't wait to have the demo behind me, so I can play around some more (terribly ironic, that). I'm afraid I might have to go lean on the next 4x entry, so I don't run out of time on the demo.
deleter

Post by deleter »

Day 22 - spline detours

I originally had an idea in mind that involved some spline paths, and rather than hardcode them and tweak the raw coordinates by hand, I went down a rabbit hole of building a spline editor. It works pretty well, still have some QoL to add such as hiding control points and probably drawing a line between a point and its control(s). I even ended up on a detour from my detour, because I wanted a bigger canvas to render the spline to. The way I'd been supporting drawing shader-only primitives involved abusing part of my pipeline. I went in and cleaned that up, which included adding the ability to generate blank textures from my asset file.

In this example the spline is being drawn to a 512x512 texture with a debounce to avoid thrashing the gpu unnecessarily while editing. When you're not editing it just draws straight from the cached texture.

There are some editor primitives in here I will probably pull into my general workflow. One of the things I've noticed frequently while doing these sketches is how much I'd benefit from having the ability to easily manipulate data directly in-game instead of having to type it out manually / recompiling, this is a small step towards that.

credits - hand cursors (modified) and circle cursor

Day 23 - no-op

Day 24 - cyberpunk scene

Played with scene creation again. There are still a lot of friction points and things I have to code up manually with these, but I want to produce a few of them so I have some good examples when I go in to write better support later on.

credits - board room, moon, city skyline, business person
deleter

Post by deleter »

Day 25 - sliding block game

This is the design I originally did the spline coding for. There was still a fair amount of spline code to write, and not sure my solutions for constraining pieces is the most elegant. Cleaned it up a little bit but there is a bit of code that is overloaded and might be hard to extend to a fuller game.

The gameplay itself isn't fully realized (similar to the piece placement game I did), focused on getting the movement mechanics working. The rough idea though is that you have to get pieces to a given position, and that certain constraints exist, such as not allowing certain pieces to be adjacent (similar to the cabbage, goat, wolf logic puzzle).

credits - the insect icons were pulled from here and then I turned them into game pieces. using the ink palette and hand cursors again.

Day 26 - gun upgrade chance wheel

Spin to get a new gun. Was fun playing with spin speed and the "blur" animation to handle speeds. I think the best version of this would probably have a couple levels of blur but for a sketch this gets the idea across. Had to run this at a lower effective fps to capture for the gif in a way that conveys the motion.

Using a webp here to get 60 fps. I made a gif that runs at 50 fps (the max most browsers apparently will do?) but it was twice as big. Not sure if the webp is more solid or not but looks fine in the preview window anyway.

credits - guns, arch palette
deleter

Post by deleter »

syn9 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:38 pm Looking great so far. These kinda remind me of 300 mechanics in a way.
300 mechanics is a cool resource. One of the things I did when preparing for the month was to ideate and create a big bucket of things I could use if I didn't have an idea for the day. Once the month is over I plan on reviewing / building up that list and potentially releasing it. If there's interest, I might release it prior to nov next year as a daily prompt list.
Sirocco wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:59 am Seconded. I can't wait to have the demo behind me, so I can play around some more (terribly ironic, that). I'm afraid I might have to go lean on the next 4x entry, so I don't run out of time on the demo.
It's been really good doing a bunch of microprojects that I don't have any entanglements with past the day. I woke up today and realized why there was a shader bug in yesterday's entry and fixed it, but mostly I don't return to the code of a previous day unless I'm implementing something similar on a subsequent day. It has helped me get out a lot of things really fast and given my framework a pretty good shake out.
deleter

Post by deleter »

Day 27 - alien dominoes
Another sketch with a few idea seeds and room to develop some mechanics. Domino placement mechanics with some made-up alien symbols. Thinking there'd be some rules about the symbol combinations that would allow you to simultaneously figure out what the symbols mean while also developing a strategy to the game.

Day 28 - burger collector
Saw this burger sprite on itch and wanted to give them something to do. I expanded on the logic from the cat sketch, implementing an open form jump instead of the closed form one I had there. This one also jumps a little higher if you hold jump vs tapping it. Also cleaned up how I was handling animation, and implemented a custom behavior with the flash on collect.

As far as the gameplay itself, I was imagining the next step for this would be adding a few additional ingredients, and on collection, you slowly grow taller and more unwieldily until you are just a ridiculous burger stack ambling about on screen trying not to tip over.

credits - burger sprite, condiments are mine

Day 29 - ink blob micro-rts
Spent a bit more time in concept than implementation today. The idea is a micro-rts where you are competing ink-beings. You cancel each other out, but you can also "explode" your own units to increase your ink blob (base) size, which increases your spawn rate. Idea was there'd also be a few strategic assets like quills you could acquire, at the risk of losing some of your base if the opponent chooses an aggressive strategy.

Day 30 - jellyfish
Decided to venture fairly far outside my current framework's capabilities and mess with some spring physics. Couldn't pull a late night that night so I left it a bit unstable. Added some dampers to the equations the next day which helped a bit.

Re-used a bit of the editor/dragging code from Nov 22 & 25th, there are some definite patterns there I think I'll be able to pull in so the concept of adding, moving, and manipulating nodes/points is an easy capability.