FML - AM/FM Synth

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
Sirocco
Site Admin

FML - AM/FM Synth

Post by Sirocco »

Demo download (Windows binary, v0.50)

FML is an AM/FM synth. This is more of a toy than a proper tool for professional work. This is being written almost from scratch using SDL and my existing game framework. An additional library was pulled in for MIDI support. It's a stand-alone program and not a VST. You could use it to produce sound effects or static instruments if you wanted, or just play around.

This is fairly far into development, but is currently lacking both the FM section, and a file browser for loading/saving files and exporting data. These will be added shortly. Users will be able to switch between AM and FM modes during runtime.

Currently the AM synth supports a carrier wave, and two modulators. Waves can be sine, square, triangle, sawtooth, or noise. There is a simple ADSR envelope that can be switched from linear to exponential action. Input from MIDI keyboards is picked up, but there is currently no support for anything special like velocity or pitch bend. That may come later.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Re: FML - AM/FM Synth

Post by Sirocco »

Added 4-note polyphony. I can expand this as far as I'd like, but after a while you'd wind up with clipped audio. Right now the core doesn't scale output on the fly, so this will probably stay in the 6-8 note range.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Working on eliminating pops/clicks while starting and stopping the stream. I've got that mostly worked out. I have also noticed I've neglected to recalculate the ADSR envelope while filling my audio buffer (using a callback), which leads to stair-stepping over shorter periods. I didn't notice, as I was totally ignoring all the popping (lolz) and mostly working with longer intervals, say 500-1500ms, where the effect isn't noticeable.

This has been an enjoyable project thus far. Fairly low stress.
0xDB

Post by 0xDB »

Cool project. Kinda yells for being expanded and included as the beginning of an "instrument editor" component in a full featured tracker thingy.
~ 0xDB ~
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

0xDB wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:49 pm Cool project. Kinda yells for being expanded and included as the beginning of an "instrument editor" component in a full featured tracker thingy.
The thought has occurred to me, but I'm not sure if I want to go there. I'd hate to develop a piece of software I'm destined to never use :D
However, the other thought is that I feel like every DAW and tracker hasn't had the workflow I want (although a few have come close) so perhaps with a little nudging in the right direction I might start making some shitty music, heh.