Far Afield

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Re: Far Afield

Post by Sirocco »

Testing webm embedding. You should be able to embed with

Code: Select all

[webm] url goes here [/webm]
Sadly, I'm not having any luck embedding links from online storage providers.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

I spent some time cleaning up the map screens and interface. There are tips at the bottom of the screen indicating what buttons/key do what, and I made zooming in/out less idiotic (long story). If you've tagged a point of interest on the map, a navigation marker will appear in your compass bar at the top of the screen, showing you the way to it.

I also... started working on a day/night cycle. Much more on that tomorrow. I have thoughts on that. Probably dumb thoughts, but if so we'll at least get a good laugh out of it.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Polish. Polish. Hella, super maximum polish!

The day/night cycle is in, and I'm working on making certain game experiences different depending on the time of day. I could probably work on that the rest of the week, with ease. I'm not sure that's what will happen, however. To help with the decreased visibility at night, important locations will glow, or are covered in things like floating spirits, fireflies, etc. It's dangerous to wander around blindly, so the game gives you some strong hints before you royally fuck up. It's a minor touch, but stars come out at night, and fade into/out of view at dusk and dawn. I put way more time that I expected into getting the transitions just right. The whole thing is terribly subjective. I spent quite a few hours just picking out colors and testing gradients and tints, and then even more hours tweaking them... because reasons.

The night cycle is only 1/4 of the whole day, so you're not stuck there for long, and if you miss one, it'll be back around shortly. I learned that trick from the somewhat recent Conan game. Night time in that game truly sucks, and has no real benefit that I can remember, so it's nice that it's only 4 minutes long in real time. But damn if that isn't a long-ass 4 minutes ;)

There will be 2-4 sub-bosses that only spawn at night (I haven't decided on the final count), and there will also be the ghosts who will give you hints if you happen upon them. There's also a simple trick to finding the final boss, that someone will clue you into. Honestly, it's not as bad as it sounds. You can easily stumble across it on accident :D . I also plan to have several night-specific mobs, but I haven't put too much thought into that yet.

I'm rather excited to see how things are turning out. Combat is much better now, with the extra polish, critical hits and dodges, and exploration is more satisfying now that there's a reason to actually do it.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

I've been playing the game, and tweaking things as necessary. I have also been procrastinating in regard to defining the last two points of interest on the map. Originally those were a volcano and a cave, and today I committed to ditching the volcano for a colonnade in the middle of a swamp. There's a simple trick to getting the upgrade from it, and the game will give you a hint.

I left the other as a cave, because it's rather non-terrain specific, so I can place it anywhere on the map. I try to keep the balance between the two types at 50/50, because no one likes a totally predictable game. Still, after a few plays, if you've been paying attention, you should have a good idea of where to look for at least half your upgrades. Of course this doesn't tell you exactly where they are since you're going in blind, but if you happen to stumble across terrain you recognize, you can look for the point of interest nearby.

I also made some changes to the player's movement rate across several terrain types, to make them more dangerous (lol, yes.) Mountains and swamps got the most aggressive adjustment. The mountains, in particular, will be extremely difficult to traverse without getting overwhelmed by harpies, and maybe golems too. There's an upgrade you can buy at the guild that will make the going easier. And now there's a particularly large swamp on the island, and you may find yourself traversing it... in the dark... while being mobbed by threshers.

I've also got a few new enemies to work in, which will hunt you at night. I'm leaning into the day/night cycle pretty heavy at this point. I drew a ghost to use as an NPC, but decided to make it an enemy instead ;)
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Image . Image

Holy shit, I'm stoked. I just completed a full run of the game, excluding the final boss battle. I got all upgrades, and explored a large chunk of the island. I went in blind (aka no debugging map), and played it exactly like it should have been played. Granted, I did have plenty of inside information about the game, so that made it easier, but I still almost died a few times. The recent changes I've made to the balancing and guild pricing were spot-on. I had a lot of fun -- which is noteworthy since I have a bad habit of making games that are technically interesting, but not necessarily addicting.

The run took ~65 minutes, which is... well, a little more than I was hoping for, but the only way to reduce that would be to shrink the map, or really buff the movement speed, neither of which I care to do. Still, I'm happy to see all the hard work this week paid off.

/o/ Aw yiss
Gered

Post by Gered »

Playable build for the rest of us mere mortals soon!?!?! :D
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Gered wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:39 pm Playable build for the rest of us mere mortals soon!?!?! :D
Probably?
I do have a rare crash bug I need to investigate, but it hasn't proven to be enough of an annoyance to tackle. I might pack something up shortly.

There's a mid-boss in the game now. He's nasty. Very, very nasty.
Gered

Post by Gered »

No worries, take your time with it! I'm just loving what I've been seeing and reading so far. Looking forward to it. :)
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

More goodness from this weekend. I continue to polish the game, and shore up the last remaining items of interest. I still need to implement the second mid-boss battle, and begin work on the final boss. In the meantime, I've put in a special health/name display for bosses. When you're close to them, their name displays prominently at the top of the screen, and their health bar is tucked inside the letters themselves. To help the player keep their eyes focused on the bottom of the screen, the letters shake when the edge of the bar is inside them, and the boss is taking damage. It's easy to keep track of how much damage you've done.

I've also added in more projectiles. Nixies will wander around the lakes and streams, and will toss bidents at you. Archers also prowl the forests, and while they are weak up close, they have a formidable ranged attack that you'll want to avoid.

Image . Image

We're getting there :D