Far Afield

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Re: Far Afield

Post by Sirocco »

carra wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:15 am Well I don't know what the rombic effect is representing but it is looking quite cool, nice retro aesthetic! Pleased to see that you manage to stay on the project to evolve it with the little touches
That's what happens when the player nails a critical hit QTE. Since things are taking longer than I had hoped, I'm spending some of the extra time on polish, and reworking things that were still a little clunky. The Player map was another pain point for me -- it worked, but lacked some flexibility to easily pinpoint where I was in relation to the rest of the terrain. And it only featured a single zoom in/out toggle, which wasn't so great.

The PIC is very much WIP, but I started on the player map and already got it fairly close to what I wanted (although it does look different from the old faded parchment map aesthetic I was originally going for. I think I have to admit I can't make that work too well at a low resolution with so much detail.)
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-09-27 211513.png
Screenshot 2022-09-27 211513.png (191.23 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

This is another fairly early shot, but I've tweaked the colors to be more in line with what I was aiming for, and have compensated for the lack of color by adding simple textures to the environments. They stand out well now (this pic only shows a few environments). Smooth scaling between 1-4x zoom is implemented, relative to the center of the screen, so what you're looking at stays in focus.

Now I need to add in the map decals, and description (if you've tagged something), and then finish writing the routine that translates the world tilemap to this parchment-style map. That should be a fairly rote affair by now.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Dunno if it's just a Windows thing, but Raylib's PRNG is giving me *really* weak results. I've switched over to fastPRNG for the time being.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Old shot, but that's where we're at. The map looks great (to me), has unique icons for points of interest, and an animated thingy over the player's custom nav point.
carra

Post by carra »

That vertical screenshot and the action icons make it look a lot like a mobile game. Which I assume it isn't, right?
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

carra wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:18 pm That vertical screenshot and the action icons make it look a lot like a mobile game. Which I assume it isn't, right?
The game is for PC, but I've designed it to be somewhat mobile-friendly should I decide to bother with a port.
carra

Post by carra »

I see. Not a bad idea if you don't mind a vertical aspect ratio
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

carra wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:50 am I see. Not a bad idea if you don't mind a vertical aspect ratio
It does kind of work into the game design, as it enforces "blinders" on the player, so there's this persistent fear of your surroundings, because enemies don't make noises unless they are attacking, and by then it's too late to avoid them entirely. Plus, I really enjoy experimenting, and I've never made a game with this particular aspect ratio before.

In other news, I've recovered from October and am finally resuming work on this project. Steady as she goes :D
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

I've started adding the player animations in for combat. Walking animation has been in for most of the year; I've been procrastinating on the rest ;)
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

I think I'm close to having the project completely ported to Raylib. I've been concentrating on adding new features and polishing stuff that seemed clunky, and forgot I was on a mission :]

I'd love to have that crossed off the list, and count it toward 2022's accomplishments.