Vircon32: Creating my own console

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
PoV

Re: Vircon32: Creating my own console

Post by PoV »

carra wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:29 pmI don't think there are many fantasy consoles out there.
https://github.com/paladin-t/fantasy

But the competition is not super important. There's still lots to gain from the process of creating a fantasy console. I'm in the "learn actual consoles" or "build your own hardware" camps, but that's because my goal was to understand systems or computer chips/electronics better (and eventually FPGA). If you actually want to make and share games, a fantasy consoles are a better approach. Almost nobody will ever play games made for the Mike5000. :lol:
Mike Kasprzak — BirdsTubesPopular thingVery serious company
carra

Post by carra »

Wow PoV, thanks for that compilation link. I have to say I had never heard about all those projects. Had no idea there were so many. I will need to have a good look at that list.

Still, just from a quick browse it does look that Vircon is indeed different from all of them. As I thought they all seem to be of either the "toy" variety (low-specs, low-res display) or of the "sandbox" variety: scripted systems meant for quick testing, instead of machines that run actual instructions.
carra

Post by carra »

Since the emulator is finished, this is a good moment to upload its source code. As always you can find it at Vircon32 Downloads. It also includes the sources for EditControls, the tool that allows to configure keyboard and joysticks.

If somebody wants to compile it or try to port the emulator to other systems, I have also made this diagram of the library versions and dependencies. This should make things easier.

carra

Post by carra »

After all, I am drawing many more character animations than I thought for a puzzle game :sweat_smile:. But well, I guess in the future I will be able to reuse some of those for Climb to the Top.

Regarding progress in the game, I had to reorganize a good portion of the game's code. I had to make a more elaborate design to allow for several launchers with their interchangeable characters and even several independent playfields.I know some of you may like to see these designs, so here they are (there are more, but I don't want to spam them hehe).

carra

Post by carra »

The classic mode for the Triple Bubble demo is now finished. I have added a combo-based mechanic for scoring. You can see the overall look of it all in this video:

Now I will rest for a few days. After that the only things left are creating the final levels and making the triple mode, in which you can control 3 launchers.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

That is a very competent and polished Puzzle Bobble-style game. Nice work! I also dig the parallax on the background. I've always been a sucker for that effect :D
carra

Post by carra »

Glad you find it polished Sirocco. I'm aiming for the console to have a smaller set of high quality exclusives, rather than a lot of low value games and proofs of concept
carra

Post by carra »

These last weeks I have been doing something I should not do: I paused working on the demo for Triple Bubble to make another game. Before publishing the demo for Triple Bubble (which will no longer be the first complete game for Vircon32), I will launch a version of 2048 for Vircon. Here you have some screenshots:

Title screen:

Gameplay:

This is a smaller game, so it will be faster to make, but with that there will already be one finished game for the console. Right now I have already made all graphics and sounds that the game uses. I only have to finish coding the game, which I hope will not take too many days.
carra

Post by carra »

GAME FINISHED: 2048 FOR VIRCON32

Vircon32 now has its first complete game! It is a port for Vircon32 of the puzzle game 2048. For anyone not knowing about it, here you have a small gameplay video of the game. Comparing it with the original, it feels to me sort of like an "arcade version" of 2048.

The rom to play, and the source code of the game are now available at VIRCON32 DOWNLOADS. I created a subfolder to upload any games that will be released for the console separately. This way they should be easier to find.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

That's very nice, and I love the startup sound when you "power on" the console :D