Vircon32: Creating my own console

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
carra

Re: Vircon32: Creating my own console

Post by carra »

Yeah, I still don't know if I will leave the thick borders or refine them. I will have to see the cards ingame to decide how they look better.
carra

Post by carra »

GAME FINISHED: BASIC PLATFORMER FOR VIRCON32

Vircon32 now has its first exclusive! This is a 2D platformer with 30 levels. You can download it from the website: www.vircon32.com

Also, the game was done in a simplified manner on purpose. This way it can also serve as an example of how to create a full game for the console.

Here you have a video and some screenshots. However, know that YouTube has mangled something and part of the sounds are not synchronized.

Image Image Image

By the way, if you clear the game it will show your total time. In case someone is into speedrunning hehe.
Niunio Martinez

Post by Niunio Martinez »

Sad I have almost no free time, but I should take a look to that console. Even see how to make games for it.
carra

Post by carra »

By all means!
If you do find the time check the guides & tutorials, and feel free to contact me if still in doubt about something
carra

Post by carra »

Lately, I had forgotten a bit about tutorials and today I have uploaded the next 2 parts (LINK).
These parts begin covering the process of game creation itself:
* Part 3: Explains how to use tile maps
* Part 4: Shows how to detect collisions

carra

Post by carra »

I have uploaded to YouTube this full gameplay of Basic Platformer.
If some of you are playing the game, this may help you find better routing for the levels and new strategies.

carra

Post by carra »

So, I have some news.

Someone I know has decided to try and make a game for the console. It will be a simple game, so don't expect much. But it will be the first game for the console that is not done by me hehe. Unless someone else surprises me first ;)
carra

Post by carra »

TRIPLE BUBBLE DEMO HAS BEEN RELEASED

At last, I have finished the demo and you can now download it from THE WEBSITE.
I already uploaded a video showing the mechanics of Classic mode, so now I show the Triple mode here:

Know that right now, my priority is not finishing this game, I want to do other things before that. Among them, I would like the full game to be built with the next version of the compiler, so that the final sources are cleaner and use less "hacks".
carra

Post by carra »

These days I'm investing some energy to do a bit of the more "boring" part, and I'm writing the specification of the video chip. I have other things to do, but I don't want to leave out the specs because they are the most important part of Vircon32. When they are complete, anyone can write their own emulator or their own tools for development/analysis/etc. without me taking part at all.

In these documents it is difficult to plan the structure of the document well, so that it's well understood and subjects are presented in a logical order. But I think that when this chip is well specified, documenting the rest will be easier.

I give you a sample of how the document looks, although if you have read the guides the style will be the same.

carra

Post by carra »

carra wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:40 am So, I have some news.
Someone I know has decided to try and make a game for the console.
Jack Brian has already finished his game: it is a Vircon32 version of good old Pong, though this version is quite enjoyable and features a nice set of options. As always you can find the game in the website. I leave here a video so that you can see it in motion:

He used some assets from my games and tutorials, and his code tries to follow the structure I normally use. It's a good way of starting with the console, and save some effort :thumbsup: