Vircon32: Creating my own console

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
carra

Re: Vircon32: Creating my own console

Post by carra »

Well I'm not explicitely planning on that but I guess it could be done. Someone could plug into the console some kind of mouse device that, each frame, encodes its movements into gamepad presses. Then on the other end you could make a program that decoded those presses into cursor movements.
carra

Post by carra »

It took some time, but the Mahjong game for Vircon32 is finally finished. As usual, you can download it at the website, and the code is on GitHub.

I think I've polished it quite a bit. It has 4 layouts to choose from, and every game is guaranteed to be winnable. You can also ask for hints and there is an undo/redo feature.

Here you have a gameplay video to see how it looks like:
carra

Post by carra »

So, a user from another forum has been able to create an experimental port of my current Vircon32 emulator to web browsers, by compiling with Emscripten. Here you can see it working on a phone.

Meanwhile I have been able to make some progress on porting the emulator to a Libretro core. This would make it simple to play the console in some popular frontends, like Retroarch, RetroPie, RecalBox or Kodi (among others).
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

carra wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:43 pm So, a user from another forum has been able to create an experimental port of my current Vircon32 emulator to web browsers, by compiling with Emscripten. Here you can see it working on a phone.

Oh, that's very nice!
I've been working on the same thing for my Raylib 4x4x4 entries. I've got it working, but I'm having issues locally with my frame-rate. It seems like it's worth the effort, at least until chrome decides to break everything so it can display more ads ;)
carra

Post by carra »

Sirocco wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:13 amIt seems like it's worth the effort, at least until chrome decides to break everything so it can display more ads ;)
Of course! Everyone knows you always need more ads :lol:
carra

Post by carra »

I spent the last weeks remodeling the Vircon32 emulator. After many changes in the code, the console logic itself is now isolated from the rest. In the repo you will see a new folder called ConsoleLogic:

The code in that folder is first compiled independently to create a library. And then the emulator uses it by calling its functions and responding to its requests (callbacks). The old emulator architecture mixed console logic with the rest (audio, video, events...). After the changes, architecture is now much more modular, which you can see in this diagram.

Thanks to the changes, the console logic itself now has no dependencies (it is pure C++) and it should be very easy to compile on any system. Also, since the rest of the parts are isolated, it will be much more straightforward to make a Vircon32 emulator with other libraries. For example, if someone were to make an XBox version they could change the audio and video modules to use DirectX instead of OpenGL + OpenAL.

And with this I can begin trying to create the Vircon32 core for libretro.
carra

Post by carra »

I have been working in a Vircon32 core for RetroArch & RetroPie.
Here I explain my progress (Audio in Spanish, English subs available)

Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Holy cow, that's going to be a really nice feature :D
carra

Post by carra »

It should make it much easier for people to discover and use Vircon32. I'm now moving things at the libretro discord so that I can hopefully get all of this integrated into retroarch.
BadMrBox

Post by BadMrBox »

Nice, it'll surely get more eyes on vircon