Vircon32: Creating my own console

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
carra

Re: Vircon32: Creating my own console

Post by carra »

BadMrBox wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:12 pm Nice, it'll surely get more eyes on vircon
Well, let's hope so. So far I have already reached a few milestones where I thought that the console would start catching some attention, but so far it never happened.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

It's so hard to get things to catch a critical amount of attention :[
carra

Post by carra »

True, it's never easy.
Also, since Unity has created lots of alarm and uncertainty, it could be good to remember the guarantees offered by Vircon32 :)

carra

Post by carra »

Hi, after a year and a half here comes the second edition.
No idea if someone here could be interested in joining, but I'll post just in case.
Here is the jam page at itch.io

What to know for the jam

* Dates: From November 5th to 19th (both included).
* Rules: Basically it should be a Vircon32 game, and follow the theme.
But you can check the complete rules at itch.io.
* Theme: I will publish it just before the jam begins.
Together with the theme I will publish a small example, with its source code, that follows that theme.
So you will have an idea of how to do it, and not have to start from scratch.
* Prizes: For now there are no prizes but we may add some game as prize.

If anyone here wants to join tell me, and I will guide you on how to make a Vircon32 game.

For any questions you may have (about the jam or the console itself) just ask me :)
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Oh, cool. I'm happy to see you didn't stack it in October like 4x and Ludum Dare :D

Any good entries catch your eye from previous compos?
carra

Post by carra »

Sirocco wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:25 am Any good entries catch your eye from previous compos?
Well, the standout for me was Virconstein3D. The author even coded in assembly language to squeeze more performance hehe. I made this video with the jam games, you can see Virconstein at around 1:05.

carra

Post by carra »

I recently took part in the MediaVida Game Jam VII with a Vircon32 game. The jam theme was "choose one". My idea was a platformer where you have 4 skills but you can only use one at a time. This is a small game trailer:

You can download the game at itch.io :smiley: If any of you plays, tell me what you think!
carra

Post by carra »

It's been some time since I last updated this, so let's do that before the year ends :lol:

So, to make things easier for the 2nd Vircon32 jam I released a basic physics library:

I also made a simple example game that followed the jam theme: "Scoring"

Unfortunately the jam itself did not go as well as I hoped. Only 2 games aside mine were submitted. The creator of Virconstein3D, a great 3D demo from the 1st jam, was not able to participate. And my own entry for the jam, a 2D golf game, was woefully far from finished.

This happened because I had to cram a lot of work for the console in a short time, and I got to the point of burnout. Among this work there were also 2 live talks I gave about the Vircon32 project. The first one is already in YouTube (in Spanish only, sorry about that) and the second will be uploaded shortly.

I have also been working on translating the spec documents to Spanish. The first 5 documents are available now (definitions, architecture, CPU, graphics chip and sound chip). Doing this is something I had pending for a long time now.

Finally, thanks to the work from Chandler Kluser, Vircon32 can now be played under Arch Linux too. Users can build and use the emulator by installing the AUR package he made. With a helper like yay, it is enough to run this command:

Code: Select all

yay -S vircon32-desktop-emulator-git
On the other hand, unfortunately, the iMac that I had been borrowing will no longer be available. So in future versions I won't be able to create binaries for Mac. I won't have any way to test that things work there either. Well, at least there were already some Mac versions that can still be used...
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

This happened because I had to cram a lot of work for the console in a short time, and I got to the point of burnout.
When I was younger, it took years to get to the point of burnout. Now it seems like I get there in a couple of weeks. *cries*
Still, this whole virtual console is wildly ambitious in scope, and a fantastic accomplishment so far. I've downloaded and played a couple of the games, too :D
carra

Post by carra »

Thank you! I hope you enjoyed the games :)
Yeah age can affect everything, our energy is not what it used to be!