Monster Arena Shmup (working title)

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
Gered

Monster Arena Shmup (working title)

Post by Gered »

This is basically going to be a revival of an old project of mine. What is this project exactly? A brief background...

Alright, so back around 2010-2012, I worked on this project, the code base (where I wrote almost everything from scratch and made a bunch of bad decisions) annoyed me for a variety of reasons as the project got farther along. The project was never finished. However this lead me to port it to Java so I could use LibGDX around 2013/2014. Java is pretty gross in a lot of ways, but LibGDX is pretty nice.

Anyway, the result of this porting work was this project. Which was also never finished and shelved around late 2014.

(All the artwork used is not by me. Obviously. Was only intended to be placeholders during development. But development never finished. :) )

The code is also pretty gross (you can see some of it here ... the same underlying engine anyway with a boring walk-around-demo). Both of these projects heavily used entity component systems and I loved it ... except that I think my particular flavour of it resulted in a fair bit of spaghetti-feeling code. Anyway, lessons learned....

I'm very much a sufferer of NIH syndrome ... and I've decided I want to revive this project but I want to start over from scratch (again) and this time I'll try doing it in Rust ... because I need a big Rust project in my life? I guess? Or it will result in madness perhaps! Either way, it'll be fun I'm sure.

----------

Anyway! First step is first, to learn about doing graphics with Rust.

I know nothing about this as of today, but I can see there are a bunch of choices. Leaning towards rust-sdl2 (because I like SDL) and perhaps just raw OpenGL through gl-rs or go more fancy and safer with either glium or luminance-rs (this might be my preferred option as it already has SDL2 support as an option).

----------

I imagine progress on this project will be slow, so expect very infrequent updates. :)
carra

Re: Monster Arena Shmup (working title)

Post by carra »

I like the concept, looks like it could be fun and your execution is not looking bad either. I think it's a good call to continue this project :)
Gered

Re: Monster Arena Shmup (working title)

Post by Gered »

Thanks! :)

I personally am not in any way under the belief that this is a new or exciting game design (certainly I can name several existing games of this basic sort off the top of my head) ... but I just like the idea of this type of game and thought it'd be fun to work on. :P

Plus it always annoyed me that I never finished it!