Off topic - 2021 - Q3

Like a phoenix, it will always rise again.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Re: Off topic - 2021 - Q3

Post by Sirocco »

I finished No More Heroes 3. I dunno exactly what to think. It's obvious it's a partially finished game that was cobbled together. While it's ok all on its own, there are glaring staging areas for content that never arrives, and the game never really succeeds in encouraging you to explore the half- (or even less than that) constructed world.

I guess we need a "director's cut" that puts all the missing content into the game.
PoV

Post by PoV »

Sirocco wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:26 pmAxiom 2 looks... ok? I guess the switch to primarily melee combat is a turn-off compared to how well the last game was handled. The last game left me satisfied, but not particularly hankering for more.
I was actually underwhelmed by the first game. It felt kind-of unfinished to me. That said I'm notoriously bad at making time to play games, and AV2 seems a decent way to spend a few hours.
Mike Kasprzak — BirdsTubesPopular thingVery serious company
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Diablo 2 and New World have collectively swallowed most of my friends.
Gered

Post by Gered »

I'm very much in a "don't give Actiblizz any more of my money" mindset... as well, I don't personally care for D2R apparently forcing a periodic "check-in" to Battle.net or whatever ... but that all being said, all the Diablo 2 talk recently made me dig up my old CDs and I've been playing D2:LOD at patch 1.09 (a.k.a. the "best" version :-P) single player. All my old characters are long gone, so will be building myself up from scratch. Starting with a Barbarian, who will eventually MF phat lootz so I can twink others up. :D

Or... I should write some code in my spare time instead.

Hmm.
PoV

Post by PoV »

I started playing Super Metroid on my MiSTer (FGPA). I've played (and beat) pretty much every other 2D Metroid, and many Metroidvanias, but never SM. I'm not sure why it took me so long to actually sit down and play it. I've watched clips and stuff, but never played.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

PoV wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:39 pm I started playing Super Metroid on my MiSTer (FGPA). I've played (and beat) pretty much every other 2D Metroid, and many Metroidvanias, but never SM. I'm not sure why it took me so long to actually sit down and play it. I've watched clips and stuff, but never played.
Cool. Super Metroid is properly tight. I dunno how well it has aged, since I haven't played it since 1997 or so. I just remember it being a well-composed experience (same general feeling I got from SoTN). Rather appropriate, since Metroid Dread just released. I need to pick that up soon.
PoV

Post by PoV »

The jumping feels somewhat unresponsive at times (wall jump, space jump), and the grapple isn't that great, but there's still a lot to like.

I've beaten the 4 bosses now, one to go. Gear: All items/weapons, 13 tanks, 4 reserve tanks, 195 missiles, 40 super missiles, 45 super bombs. Should finish it next time I sit down to play.
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Noita is a stupidly fun game. Terribly random, and sometimes a little frustrating, but I keep going back to it. It reminds me just enough of Liero. But really, the wand drops are so horribly random. I'm still getting the basics down.