Vircon32: Creating my own console

A place to house devlogs of member’s projects.
carra

Re: Vircon32: Creating my own console

Post by carra »

So, in another forum (mediavida.com) we are trying to organize a small game jam for the console. As part of the preparations for it I will be creating new tutorials and examples to create games for the console. I have just uploaded a set of tutorials showing different ways of writing text in the console:

I believe that now there's starting to be a good amount of learning material: these tutorials, the ones for the robot game, the guides, the sources for the test programs... Still, if you have ideas for something I should cover I will hear it.
carra

Post by carra »

Someone suggested that I should create an API reference for all C functions that are included in the compiler, so I have done just that. These documents are in HTML and can be seen directly at the website. They can also be downloaded, since each of them is self-contained. You can have an idea of how they look like in these screenshots:

Image Image
Sirocco
Site Admin

Post by Sirocco »

Wow! I disappear for a month (or two) and you've made fantastic progress :D
carra

Post by carra »

Hehe I was preparing everything for you when you come back 🙂
carra

Post by carra »

I have been organizing code and preparing it to upload to GitHub. There will be 2 separate repositories there:
  • One for all code running in the console itself (Games, BIOS, etc)
  • Another for all PC programs related to the console (Emulator, Dev tools)
The second repository will take some more time since I first want to prepare compilation to use CMake, to support multiplatform. But the first repository is already uploaded, find it here:

https://github.com/vircon32/ConsoleSoftware
syn9

Post by syn9 »

The Triple Bubble game looks pretty great. I like all the polish and details like the color flashes and the characters animations. Very nice!
carra

Post by carra »

Thanks! It was my aim to make a polished game :)

I look forward to finishing this game. Just playtesting it for the demo I had a lot of fun!
carra

Post by carra »

On March we will be hosting a jam for the console at itch.io, so I just made this video for anyone interested in creating games for the console. Here I cover the whole process for making a very basic game:

I welcome any feedback to know if the process can be understood well enough. I did walk through the process a bit fast to not make the video too long, but still I think every needed step is covered.
carra

Post by carra »

Bubble Bobble is one of my favorite games, and I wanted to experiment and see how it could look in Vircon. Messing around with aseprite and adapting it to the 360p screen size, this was the result:

It's quite obvious I'm not going to make this game (copyright and others, but also coding this game is harder than it seems) but I thought it would be nice to create some hype hehe
carra

Post by carra »

In preparation for the jam on March, I just made an itch.io site for the console:

https://vircon32.itch.io/

I have also uploaded there my 2 full games (2048 and Basic Platformer). I used tag vircon32 to label these as vircon games, so if any of you takes part on the jam, it would be a good idea to include this label in your game too.